Regenerative farmer and physicist, turned AgTech founder, Abby Rose is also co-host of Farmerama.
LISTEN TO THE CONVERSATION ON:
Great monthly podcast sharing the voices of smaller-scale farmers in the UK and beyond
Key takeaways of the interview:
- we need to build a fire friendly landscape
- fires have always been there but not the intensity and degree burning over 1m acres
- Abby is mostly surrounded by mono culture pine forests which burn like nothing else
- moisture in the soil to have all year round plants which don’t burn so easily
- if you have a very diverse microbial life in the soil, it is potentially reflected in the nutritive value in the produce
- Abby worries any single measure, if she had to pick a measure the measure would diversity!
- the reason for starting Vidacycle was the lack of data from the olive farm. They planted 8000 trees but had no idea which trees were performing or not
- the more we can support small to medium scale farmers to flourish more the better
- the tech solutions weren’t there or were way too expensive
- fundamental about all of our technology is empowering farmers
- farmers are perfectly capable in understanding how their soil system works
- first they developed sector mentor to help manage olive farms, vineyards etc.
- soil mentor for soils, very simple DIY soil testing for farmers, using only equipment already present on the farm
- very excited about the opportunities to work with a number of small to medium size vineyards in Oregon
- biggest issue in food and ag: food prices, food is so cheap, but the truth is food isn’t cheap.
- technology is not going to save us, what will save us is changing mind sets
- technolog is a tool which will aid people
- please don’t invest in a random technology which is going to save us all
If Magic wand, true cost accounting system for food
We have discussed that before! With Volkert of Eosta/Nature and More:
Organic isn’t too expensive, conventional (chemical) farming is too cheap!
Advice for investors:
Go and work on some farms, and understand the reality of farming
Books Abby suggests:
Other podcasts on Land Trusts:
Thomas Rippel about Farmland Stewardship Organisations
Ian McSweeney on land trusts in the US
Feedback, comments, suggestions? Reach me via Twitter @KoenvanSeijen, in the comments below or through Get in Touch on this website.
Join the Investing in Regenerative Agriculture and Food newsletter on www.eepurl.com/cxU33P
The above references an opinion and is for information and educational purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.Join the Community
2 comments on ““Please don’t invest in another random technology which is going to save us all” says Abby Rose”